Thursday, October 9, 2014

How Do You See Yourself?

This past year I have seen people come into my dojo seeking for Jujitsu lessons for self-defense.  They came stayed for one or two classes and then leave, never to be seen again.  Why is that?  Is it because we actually train people, put some physical effort into our training?  We find it self satisfying to keep our Jujitsu training real or as real as one can get without hurting each other.  When I teach self-defense, I like to have my attacker to attack me as hard and as real as they can.  Why? I need to see if what I teach really does work and if it does not then I need to adjust my technique or throw it out.   We call this pressure testing.  When some one pressure tests a technique it to see if adjustments need to be made for them.  This is the only way to see what works and what does not work. 

Some dojos find this method insulating, to their art.   I encourage this method as a way to find self-perfection and expression in an art.  So are you willing to settle for a less effective method or will you keep to your high standards of training and test every thing to see what works for you?  I enjoy pushing my body to limits to see what I can handle and what I can not handle.  My philosophy: " At some point, you are going have to defend yourself and you are going have to show that you stand for something at some point."--Cory Mathews   This statement is what I have adopted in my everyday life and in my training as well. 

Get out there and stand for something, inspire others, and don't take life for granted. 



  

1 comment: